Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mulberries

Several weeks ago I discovered a red mulberry tree about a ten minute walk from my office. At the time I wasn't sure what it was. The only other tree of this type I had ever seen was in the yard of the house we stayed in when we lived in France. Madame Duchesne told me "C'est un mûrier" and said something about the fruits being edible. But since it was winter at the time, I never really saw the fruit and I forgot all about it.

Now, I have heard of mulberries before (we all know the song, right?) but didn't know much about them or even what they looked like. When I saw this tree however, I went back to the office and determined what it was using the internet. Not a hard plant to identify, and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't know it.

Ok ok. Making a long story short... Today I walked to the tree again, and the some of the berries are starting to ripen. Not many, yet, but enough for me to try a handful. Yum. I'll give it another week or so and then go back with a container...

No comments:

Post a Comment