Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Post

This is a blog I've started to keep track of my experiences in my newest hobby: wild foods. I'll also talk about my efforts at buying local foods, gardening, and personal food independence in general.

My interest started late last fall (November 2009) when I had an "aha" moment about food and decided there were many things about my current food supply that scared me: pesticides, environmental destruction, food security. On and on the list goes. So I started doing so research and decided as a first step to try my hand at a small garden, and also to start trying to buy local foods.

In my research, however, I ran across the idea of wild foods when I saw a book on the topic by Sam Thayer. (He since has published a second book, and I highly recommend both.) This really sparked my interest. This could really be fun! I also purchased several other wild food books and a few field guides and it's been a big learning curve for me, seeing as I knew nothing about plants (and still know precious little) when I started. But that's the fun in a new hobby, right?

As you read here, keep in mind I am pretty much a complete beginner in these things. So take everything I write with a grain (or pillar) of salt. Please correct me where you feel I am wrong. I hope you and I can exchange information and ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment